Say goodbye to your usual sunny-side-up eggs this Monday and shoot for our newest take on cloud eggs – solar eclipse eggs – in celebration of the 2017 solar eclipse! What’s on your “path of totality” viewing party menu? Head to our Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and share how you’re celebrating this incredible occurrence!
- 2 egg whites*
- 2 egg yolks, separated*
- Pinch of salt
- 3 drops black food coloring*
- HEAT oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- BEAT egg whites in a mixer bowl on high speed until foamy, then add a pinch of salt and continue to beat until egg whites form stiff peaks.
- DOLLOP the egg white mixture onto the lined baking sheet into a mound with a spoon, then using the back of the spoon create a well in the center of the mound.
- BAKE until the egg whites are no longer wet and slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- ADD the food coloring to one of the separated yolks and MIX until well combined with a toothpick.**
- GENTLY add the other yolk to the center of the egg whites.
- SLOWLY pour the black egg yolk over the cloud egg.**
- BAKE again until the yolk is set, about 5 minutes.
*Optional to use two egg whites, two eggs yolks and food coloring for “solar eclipse” effect. Use only one egg white and one egg yolk for regular cloud eggs.
**Optional steps for “solar eclipse” effect.