Summer in the minds of our citizens is associated not only with the presence of the sun and the opportunity to plunge into a cool pond, but with the appearance of a huge number of grandmothers who trade berries.
Strawberries, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, blueberries – multi-colored jars attract the eyes of the townspeople, who were raging from the heat. Bought (or torn) berries can be eaten by filling it with sugar, or you can build an unmatched cake that will please the family and guests.
Pies are one of the most favorite and varied dishes of Russian cuisine. In the 21st century they came from antiquity with minimal influence of foreign cuisines. The word “pie” comes from the ancient Russian word “feast” – not a single feast could not do without this dish. For each holiday prepared special pies – this explains the variety of appearance, filling and variations in the pie test /
During the development of Siberia, the pioneers experienced hard times. The harsh local climate forced people to change their culinary preferences and include in their diet gifts of Siberian nature. Pies were considered the most favorite dish of Siberians-old-timers.
They numbered more than 70 species! The bark was baked from a sour dough on the bottom – in that place of the Russian stove, where firewood is placed. After they burned, the coals were pulled out and pies were put in their place. Spicy (fried) made from sour or unleavened dough.
Traditional Russian pie is a yeast dough pie. Berry pie from short pastry was born in far England, and subsequently became widespread in the US and around the world. Initially, Russian pies were baked from rye flour, then a little flour was added to it, and even later flour of the highest grade was mixed with flour of the highest grade. As sourdough, along with yeast in Russia used yogurt, sour cream and beer. Milk and various types of fats, vegetable and cream, were most often added from milk ingredients, eggs were rarely placed in yeast dough.
The main recipe for a dough:
20 g yeast (or a bag of dry yeast),
¼ l of warm milk,
500 g of flour,
40 g of sugar, a
pinch of salt of
60 g of margarine
Dry yeast is good in that they can be immediately mixed with flour – and the process of preparing the dough is markedly accelerated. However, it is better to dissolve dry yeast in a small amount of warm water or milk and add 1 tsp sugars. This opara, it must be put in a warm place for fermentation. When the bubbles appear on the surface and the opara is doubled, it is ready. Pre-melted margarine mixed with sugar, add a pinch of salt and, stirring, cool.
Pour in the remaining milk. From above, sift flour and gently pour out the foaming yeast, not letting them come in contact with melted fat. Mix the dough better with a wooden spatula or spoon in one direction. Thoroughly knead the dough. The finished dough should be light, smooth and plastic. It is better for him to give one more time – for this he needs to be put in a warm place. After the dinner, cover the dough and let it lie down for a few minutes. Now it’s ready to be cut.
Delicious lush pies with a ruddy crispy crust and a fragrant sweet filling are not quickly made, but disappear in the blink of an eye. If you decide to bake a cake or pies with a berry, it is important to remember the following.
1) That the pies were airy.Earlier, when our grandmothers did not know about French dry yeast, the pie test was given to rise two or three times, each time it was cheated and again put in a warm place. It was believed that the test for the opaque is more, it is more airy, fluid and baked better. Now, a safer way to prepare a dough is more popular. The dough may not rise if salt or liquid fat directly onto the yeast – the salt takes away moisture from the yeast, and the fat envelops the yeast cells and prevents them from multiplying. Even if you buy the dough in the store, it must be given to rise before and after the formation of pies. That very splendor gives the process of fermentation and the release of carbon dioxide. Ready pies must be put on a proofing – at 15 (for small pies) or 30 minutes (for large pies), and only then put in the oven, pre-warmed. If there is insufficient proofing, cracks are formed on the pies, and they themselves turn out to be heavy and damp. To determine the readiness of the dough during the proofing, it is easy to press your finger on the pie dough: with normal proofing, the groove on the test disappears slowly. Do not forget about the temperature – as soon as the pie in the oven starts to blush, reduce the temperature to a moderate, and then to a weak one.
2) That there was no unpleasant smell during the frying. This happens when there is a filling or on products too much flour, which gives an unpleasant smell of burning. To avoid this, gently tie pies. But if the dough is still torn, do not patch and do not dip the product into flour – it is better to roll out a thin sheet of the same size and wrap it in a “leaky” patty. Shake off the excess flour from the products and place the cakes on a proofing pot on a baking tray, oiled.
3) That the filling does not flow.Dough for sweet pies should be steeper in consistency than dough for unsweetened ones. The rolled layer should be thicker. Due to this sugar will not eat the dough and the filling will not flow out. In addition, do not lay out the berries, sprinkled with sugar, otherwise it will quickly give juice – it is better to put berry in each patty, and pour a spoonful of sugar on top. If the cake is large – first lay out the berry, and sprinkle sugar on top. On the layer of the rolled dough it is possible to pour wheaten rusks – they will absorb an excess of moisture, and the pie will be baked better. And in the filling of small pies for the same purpose, you can put a little starch. For example, for each patty – 1/3 teaspoon. In a small amount its presence will not affect the taste, but the juice will “grab” and will not leak out.
4) To the filling was sweet.The taste of the filling should be bright and expressive. The fact that the dough absorbs the sweetness, so do not feel sorry for the sugar and put it a little more than you think is sufficient.
5) To have a bright berry taste. A peculiar “boiled” taste appears in the berries, if the cake is closed and for a long time is subjected to heat treatment. To avoid this, there are two ways out. The first – pies do not bake, but fry. In this case, the filling does not have time to cook. The second way is to bake a large open or semi-closed pie. Semi-closed pie is obtained if the lattice, bundles, flowers and twigs from the dough are put on the filling. They not only decorate the cake, but also carry a certain function – fix the stuffing.
For a pie with strawberries you will need:
1 kg of yeast dough
For the filling:
1 kg of strawberries (strawberries),
2-3 tablespoons. sugar,
2-3 tablespoons. wheat rusks
½ cup fresh sour cream,
2 tsp. sugar
Dough roll out in the form of a circle 1-1.5 cm thick, put in a greased form, prick with a fork, sprinkle with breadcrumbs, put on top of strawberries, sprinkle with sugar.
Beat up sour cream with eggs and sugar, evenly pour the berries. Gently bend the sides of the cake, decorate with dough flowers and grease with yolk. Bake at a temperature of 180-200 degrees.
For pies with raspberries you will need:
For each pie 80-90 g of yeast dough,
1 tsp. sugar
1/3 tsp starch
From the finished dough, form the balls, roll each ball into a flat cake. In the middle of each cake put berries, pour sugar and starch. Form the cakes, place them on a baking tray, oiled, and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Pour the vegetable oil into a frying pan (1.5 cm), spread the patties down on the hot frying pan. Fry until a ruddy crust on both sides.
If the desire to regale a pie is stronger than the desire to mess with the test, go where you do not have to cook. However, it was not possible to find traditional Russian berry pies from yeast dough in the city’s institutions. But they were found fragrant berry pies from short pastry. In “Coffee grinder” on Marx offered a pie with three kinds of filling: with cherries, strawberries and blueberries. You can get it for 119 rubles. In the “Chanson” pie with strawberries costs 80 rubles, and a pie with blueberries – 5 rubles more. Bon Appetit!