William Peace on Install Day at a Remote Texas Ranch

The Atlanta-based founder of Peace Designs begins his morning not really in the morning at all: at 12:01 A.M., installing a working ranch in a remote Texas town. Like many of the designers we admire, Peace doesn’t shy from projects in far-flung corners of the globe, so to pack everything in, sometimes early starts (or late nights, depending on how you look at it) are necessary.

Here, we follow along for a busy install day with Peace. Fair warning: You may need a strong coffee to get through it.

Most of the time, the first entry for our Day in the Life series falls somewhere between 6 and 8 A.M. Every so often we have the early bird or exercise-aholic who rises with the sun, but no one has come near William Peace.

12:01 A.M.

I arrived in South Texas from Atlanta a few days ago for a client install. We are working into the late hours hanging some stellar taxidermy and preparing for a client reveal “tomorrow” morning. I love the feeling of strength and ease of this room.

7:00 A.M.

Due to the remote location of the ranch, we stay in comfortable quarters and rise early to a freshly prepared breakfast. Of course, I check Instagram and emails.

10:10 A.M.

Our client is running ahead of schedule, arriving an hour earlier than planned. Upon arrival, he shows off his new double-decker safari vehicle that will be tested this weekend with guests coming in for a guided tour around the property.

11:30 A.M.

A successful meeting! Our clients are excited about the transformation of their working ranch.

12:30 P.M.

We have a team lunch near the install site and discuss upcoming projects and travel.

2:30 P.M.

I helicopter to San Antonio to meet with architect Michael Imber about other projects that we are working on together. Michael has a unique understanding of historical architecture, and I love collaborating with him.

4:00 P.M.

I’m scheduled to fly from San Antonio to Bozeman, Montana, to visit a client. But due to an unexpected snag in air travel, I reroute home to Atlanta (thank you, Delta, for coming to the rescue!).

5:30 P.M.

In-flight work time to prepare for tomorrow’s meeting on a ranch property in the Paradise Valley of Montana. I also review our inventory book from recent buying trips to France and Italy. I’m looking to place the perfect finds in our current projects. Next, I make plans to drop in at the Old Saloon in Emigrant to meet with architect Larry Pearson, one of my partners in the saloon.

7:30 P.M.

Glad to be back in Atlanta! I Uber to LaTavola, a favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant, to meet my lovely wife for dinner. Kick off with a vodka martini with a twist and enjoy an amazing grilled octopus appetizer.

10:00 P.M.

Back home, I repack and prepare for an early morning flight. Then, I enjoy reading a few pages of The Naturalist – Theodore Roosevelt by Darrin Lunde before I nod off to sleep – it’s been a long day.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.