While everyone from Kaia Gerber, to Jennifer Lopez, to Saoirse Ronan and Jessica Alba are opting for the crop, it seems Selena has decided to trial the style before she fully commits (wise, if you ask us).
Marissa Marino, Selena’s hair stylist responsible for ‘do, took to Instagram to post a picture of the singer from last night with the caption “Obsessed with this full look and faux bob.’
Yesterday was a day of reinvention for Selena Gomez. After a two year hiatus from live performing, she took to the stage at last night’s AMAs to offer up a rendition of her new song, Look At Her Now. But that wasn’t all that was new. Instead of her signature tumbling wavy, hair, she traded in her long lengths for a full, swooshy, shoulder-skimming bob. Or, at least, it looked like she did…
While it’s not clear how Marino achieved the style, we’d wager some strategic twisting and tucking action was involved. Thankfully international hair stylist, Natalie Anne Hair, shared her tips on achieving a faux bob with fans on her own Instagram feed earlier this month. And it’s more doable than it looks.
You’ll need to already have shorter layers in your hair but:
- Start by sectioning the top third of your hair up and out of the way.
- Divide the remaining section into two plaits.
- Bend the plaits back on themselves and pin them up toward the crown.
- Release the top section of hair and backcomb it at the roots to add some volume.
- Shape it over the plaits and at the front.
- You can leave it there, or for an even more shoulder skimming style, tie a plastic band round the end of the layers at the back.
- Tuck the ends under the layers towards the crown of the head.
- Pin it into place.
So, if you don’t have a team of world-class hair stylists on hand to reinstate your longer lengths (with a little help from extensions) whenever you fancy reverting back, try this handy style before you go for the chop. Or, if you just fancy switching your style up for the day.