“Hello. I’m a procrastinator. I scan the logs instead of cleaning. I sharpen pencils, instead of preparing for the exam in a driving school. I can work only in a hard deadline. In general, with an astonishing success I complicate the life of myself and the rest. “
If I came to a consultation with a psychologist, I would certainly say such a speech. But since I will not go to a psychologist – I do not have time, I continue to talk with my friend about ICQ and complain about the injustice of the world around me and the catastrophic lack of time.
The word “procrastinator” comes from the English procrastinator (from lat.cras – “tomorrow”) and means a person who is peculiar to delay decision-making and postpone business for later. That is, when you, looking at the cake with lust, decide for the third time that you will not sit on a diet today, as planned, but tomorrow it is.
When you, instead of finishing the report, go to a restaurant, and then drink a liter of coffee and do not have time to do anything – it’s also it.
Of course, the delaying of cases to victorious deadline is typical of all people. Hike to the dentist, an unpleasant conversation with an annoying fan usually want to be postponed for later. But if you regularly leave problems, hiding your head in the sand of idleness and idleness, remember that one day you will have to come out from there. And your “enemies” – urgent matters, alas, will not disappear anywhere during this time.
If Dragonfly, the heroine of Krylov’s fables, during the summer correctly allocated the time, she would not have to dance in the winter, chattering with cold teeth.
Conditionally all procrastinators can be divided into relaxed and tense.
1. You were going to take up cleaning a long time ago, and it finally happened – you put on old jeans and got ready for work. But here’s the trouble – in the middle of a pile of garbage you got an album with old photos. First you just sit down on the sofa and look through it. Then you decide that this is a sign, and start calling old school friends. Will end all, of course, a fun party with friends. However, cleaning will be postponed again for a week. You are a relaxed procrastinator . All your nature protests against routine and monotony, you want a holiday and pleasures. Therefore, as soon as things start to be more serious on the horizon than going to a coffee shop, you put them off in a long box, coming up with all sorts of explanations.
2. You are full of grandiose plans and great ideas. Slow and painstaking writing of a thesis throughout the year is not for you. No, you have not forgotten about it, you remember about it every minute and you are terribly worried, but … once again you fit in with the book, reassuring yourself that the morning is wiser. If this is your case, you are a stressed procrastinator. Your problem is not in the absence of concentration, but in the inability to evaluate your strength. And unlike the relaxed type, you underestimate yourself and are afraid not to cope. Like Scarlett from Gone with the Wind, you urge yourself to think about it tomorrow, but this relaxation is temporary and inefficient. Moreover, it can lead to extreme stress, fear and guilt, when you find that there is no time left at all. This is a vicious circle of failures and protractions.
People who act on the principle of “do not delay for tomorrow”, for sure think that procrastinators are ordinary lazy people. In fact, the problem is somewhat deeper. Psychologists identify four main reasons for delaying cases.
1. Perfectionism. Everything should be perfect. Everything should be in perfect order. Well, if you are unwell or just not in the mood, why get down to business if you can not do it all the time? The words “should” and “must” occur in your replicas very often. As well as the motto “You can not do well – do not do at all!”. What are you actually doing most of the time.
2. Authoritarianism of parents.You can send them my regards. If from the childhood all decisions are made for you by your mother, then it is very difficult to adjust to a wave of self-control and independence. In addition, delaying cases can be a kind of rebellion against a despotic parent. Thus, it seems to you that it is you who control your life.
3. Low self-esteem. Parents also left it here. You are afraid that you will not be able to cope with a major project, and you have found nothing better than not tackling it at all. However, the boss does not suspect about your difficult childhood. And the lack of results, he most likely will write off on incompetence, and not on fear of failure.
4. Inability to prioritize.No, you, of course, understand that if you do not immediately attend the training, then fail the exam. But on TV such a touching melodrama / on the street is such a wonderful weather / in stores such great discounts! We live in fact once – therefore it is necessary to get maximum pleasure. And the exam … Get ready for the night, as usual. This, by the way, is a common opinion among students – ostensibly at the last moment is remembered better. But to systematize a large amount of information in conditions of stress and minimum time is rather difficult.
All of the above problems hinder the progress towards success. However, some procrastinators managed to become successful and become famous throughout the world. The most famous “puller” was Leonardo da Vinci. The presence of a huge talent in no way affected his inability to concentrate. Because of this, many projects remained unfinished. To finish the world-famous “Mona Lisa”, Leonardo took twenty years. “The Last Supper” da Vinci completed only in the deadline, when the priory of the monastery repeatedly expressed his displeasure with the slowness of the artist.
But in order to succeed in such conditions, you need to be Leonardo da Vinci. And if you have fewer talents, you can not do without fighting against chronic procrastination.
1. Everything goes according to plan. Even if you do not know what a diary is, buy it at least out of interest. Make a list of cases for the day in order of decreasing importance. Planning only seems boring and dull. By deleting items, you will be proud of yourself and rejoice like a child. By the way, do not forget to include in your plan recreation and entertainment, just remember the order and observance of the ratio: first hour of cleaning, then 10 minutes of the TV.
2. Top-top. It just seems that a diploma or a thesis is hellish labor. Instead of talking about the unreality of the tasks, break the big project into small blocks. Walking through the thorns is much easier with children’s steps.
3. Change the situation.If the home environment acts on you is relaxing, and you are doing anything, but not preparing for the exam or performance, – go away. Go where you can concentrate and where nothing will distract. If this is not possible – remove all distractions from the scope, turn off the phone and turn off the computer.
4. Everything is imperfect. Separate advice to seekers of impeccability. Do not get hung up on possible mistakes. They are committed absolutely everything. And if you allow them, then at the next stage, you will certainly correct – only so you can move forward. Forget the words “should” and “must” – tell yourself that you will succeed.
5. The Magic Five-Minute.This is suitable for unpleasant activities. For example, you do not like to wipe the dust – arm yourself with a rag, mark 5 minutes and proceed. You will be warmed by the thought that soon it will end, and when the timer rings, you, inspired by clean regiments, will be able to finish the action to the end. If not, repeat the procedure after a while.
This article could be safely placed in the heading “Checked by yourself”, because, while I was writing it, I had to use the above recommendations. The result before you – it really works.