When Alissa Ashley was planning to share her experience with eyebrow microblading on her popular YouTube channel, she didn’t expect to recount her time in the emergency room.
She recently got the popular semipermanent tattoo done, which mimics eyebrow hairs to make them look fuller for about a year. In her new video called, “My Microblading Experience,” she explains how she had an allergic reaction, which caused her eye area to swell up and break out.
Before going into just how traumatizing the experience was, Alissa Ashley was sure to add a disclaimer on the screen to make it clear that no blame should be put on the doctor. It reads: “This video is not meant to be bashful, or to place ANY blame on the specialist who did the microblading because she did nothing wrong! This is just to share my experience!”
This viral post proves exactly why you should do your research before getting your eyebrows done
Long before making an appointment with an eyebrow and microblading specialist, Alissa Ashley reveals that her brows were always an insecurity of hers because she considers them to be thin, as well as sparse near the tails. With that in mind, she was excited about the procedure.
The appointment, albeit a bit uncomfortable, seemed to go according to plan. Alissa Ashley notes that it hurt more than she was expecting it to. “In terms of the pain of the microblading, there were definitely some strokes that hurt a lot,” she says in the video. “I actually started tearing.” She adds that the pain was completely different from getting pierced and having a standard tattoo done because microblading involves a scraping motion, which you can hear.
Her brows looked intense but normal once the procedure was done, Alissa Ashley recalls. The next day, however, she experienced puffiness around her eyes. The specialist thought it was an allergic reaction to the numbing cream or even an antibiotic cream, so she suggested that Alissa Ashley wipe off product left on her brows. “It wasn’t too terrible. I thought, ‘OK, all I need to do is put some ice on it, get some allergy medicine, some Benadryl, and it will go away,'” she recalls.
The situation continued getting worse, though. After seeing horror stories in the news, she decided to go to the emergency room to make sure she didn’t have an infection. There, doctors officially deemed her irritation to be an allergic reaction.
Although she’s unsure of what exactly caused the allergic reaction, Alissa Ashley believes it could have been either the ink or the numbing cream, which might have gotten into her bloodstream when the specialist reapplied midway through the procedure. Alissa Ashley was sure to note that her reaction had nothing to do with the safety and hygiene of the procedure. Everything was disposable or thoroughly sterilized. Because of this, she recommended to viewers to get a patch test and keep their allergies in mind before getting microblading done.
A definitive guide to achieving perfect brows at home
She, on the other hand, has decided not to have the treatment done again, even after the allergic reaction caused her skin to push the ink out. “Essentially, all the trauma and trouble was for nothing because it didn’t really last,” she says. “I’ll continue to fill them in with my pencils and my pomadesbecause I will never ever do that to myself again.”
You can watch her whole video, below.