Say hello to our new columnist, hair and beauty supremo, Sarah Angius. With an Instagram following of 3.8 million and having just won a Hair Icon Award, we can’t think of anyone we would trust more with our tresses.
Each month, super stylist Sarah will be sharing her best tips, styling secrets and hair news that your locks have been dying to hear. In her first column, Sarah answers the questions she gets asked the most: what really is the secret tohealthy looking hair? Over to Sarah…
The main question I always get asked is how do I manage to maintain shiny hair when I try so many different styles and use so many tools. That’s why for my first column, I’ve created a list of tips and tricks to maintain shine and prevent damage.
By adding these tips to your existing hair routine, you can expect healthy hair in no time. It’s easy, I promise!
1. Healthy hair starts from the inside out. A balanced diet and drinking a good amount of water will make sure you have a good base when it comes to healthy and shiny hair. Hair treatments are great but helping the hair before it even grows will make a huge different once it grows out of our head! Foods like fish, avocado, and nuts contain omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for hair.
2. Invest in a good silk pillow. There are loads online and not only are they great for protecting your hair while you sleep, they are also extra kind to your skin, too.
3. If you have long hair then putting it up in a bun before going to sleep will prevent the hair from too much damage. Make sure the bun is not too tight – just a loose one will do the job.
4. Switch up your shampoo and conditioner according to the season. Your hair needs change from summer to winter so it’s important to adapt. In summer, your hair is exposed to more UV while in winter, you might need something to combat dryness.
5. When drying your hair after a shower, try to squeeze the water out of your hair instead of rubbing it dry. Rubbing causes damage to the ends of your hair. I also try to use an old cotton T-shirt to dry my hair since the fabric is a little softer for my hair.
6. Try to do a hair treatment every week – I love nothing more than a hot coconut treatment.
7. If you wash your hair every day, I would cut that down. Wash your hair 2 or 3 times a week max. Invest in a good dry shampoo to extend your washing. Over-washing the hair can strip the hair of its natural oils leaving it dry.
8. Try to visit your hairdresser every 6 to 8 weeks; just to maintain your ends. This will ensure your hair is always in top condition.
The best hairdressers in London to bring your #hairgoals to life
10. Don’t forget to clean your brushes. You won’t believe how many germs a brush or a comb contains, especially when you use it daily!
See you next month for more hair tips and tricks.
You’ll be disgusted when you read what’s actually lurking in your hairbrush