New York Crumb Cake is a copycat recipe of the old NY Crumb Cake Starbucks used to sell years ago. I don’t mean the current Classic Coffee Cake that they’ve transitioned to.
I mean the old school giant squares of cake with the most amazing large crumb topping pieces.
Classic New York Crumb Cake just like the kind you would find in your favorite coffee shop, a tender cake topped with large chunks of cinnamon sugar goodness!Like my Easy French Toast Bake and Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, this recipe is a perfect breakfast option for a crowd!
As employees we would snack frequently and this was definitely the favorite baked good for the whole staff. Any that was left by the date we needed to rotate in new pieces was generally argued over.
The cake portion of the recipe is a very simple one, but the topping is special. With a unique topping that you break apart into pieces before baking, it is worth the effort.
This is THE crumb cake you will want to make for any and all brunches or treats you bring into the office. I made the tray just for myself and froze the remaining 8 pieces so I could enjoy them with my morning coffee. If wrapped invidually well with saran wrap then placed into a ziploc bag with the air pushed out, this cake is delicious even if defrosted.
This isn’t exactly an old fashioned crumb cake recipe, but it is a delicious option you’ll love in place of the standard coffee cake.
How do you make a Crumb Cake:
- Use very cold butter, this will preserve the large chunks.
- As a taller single layer cake, cook on lower temperature.
- If you find the top is browning too much tent it with some foil.
- Keep cake covered to avoid drying out.
How do you make the topping for a crumb cake:
- Look at the ball of topping in the below photo, this is the consistency you’re looking for in the ball and the broken apart pieces.
- Keep the topping cold until baking or it can melt.
- Keep the chunks larger and sprinkle gently over the top of the cake.
Additional crumb topped desserts:
Yield: 9 servings
New York Crumb Cake
Total Time:60 minutes
Classic New York Crumb Cake just like the kind you would find in your favorite coffee shop, a tender cake topped with large chunks of cinnamon sugar goodness!
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into small pieces, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and still warm
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (7 ounces)
- Add sugar, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter into a bowl.
- Whisk together and add in cake flour until combined. Form into a dough ball.
- Let sit until you are done making the cake.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Use baking spray or butter and flour a square 8×8 pan.
- In a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt
- On low speed, add butter in pieces.
- Mix for 1-2 minutes, or until you no longer see the butter and the mixture looks like a crumble.
- Add in your remaining cake ingredients, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk
- Mix until light and fluffy, another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour and spread cake batter into greased baking pan.
- Take the topping dough and break apart into chunks about the size of marbles over the dough in a uniform pattern.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife is inserted and comes out clean.