That’s why we’re rather intrigued by a new skincare trend straight out Korea called Jamsu. Jamsu is a Korean makeup hack that’s designed to help tackle oily skin by making the skin matte and turn your makeup transfer-proof at the same time to ensure an even and long-lasting look.
From cream skin and sheet masks to essences and glass skin, it’s safe to say that Korea has given us more beauty trends than any other part of the world.
Fanatical about skincare, Koreans place major emphasis on perfecting a laborious and efficient skincare routine that they carry through their entire life; no wonder they’re so youthful-looking.
“Thorough skincare is part of Korean culture and is encouraged during early childhood years, with Korean women believing that flawless and radiant skin is a sign of true beauty,” explains Robyn Clifford, Product Director at Oh K. “This belief stems back centuries ago where women never exposed their skin to sunlight to achieve healthy and porcelain-like skin. Skin complexion and flawlessness are of great importance in Korean tradition, with the belief that you can tell your fate and fortune by your skin,” continues Robyn. “Korean women dedicate a lot of time to their skincare regimes with a view that it is something to savour and enjoy”.
Jamsu actually means ‘to submerge’ in Korean and this method involves exactly that (!). You basically apply your foundation and then submerge your face in a large bowl of very cold water. It sounds crazy but the Koreans are convinced it works. Why? Because cold water is known to shrink pores and create a matte effect on the skin. They believe it also enables the foundation to blend with the skin, making for a flawless base for makeup application.
So how do you do it?
- First, cleanse your skin with a facial cleanser and then tone and moisturise.
- Apply your foundation and concealer.
- Use a translucent powder all over your foundation and concealer using a large and fluffy brush.
- Next, fill a large bowl with very cold water – don’t be scared – and dunk your face into the water for 15 – 20 seconds, keeping your eyes closed and ensuring it is fully submerged.
- Pat your skin lightly with a dry face towel.
- Complete the rest of your makeup as usual.
Will you be taking the plunge?