Humor is most definitely a way to get noticed and not just for those of us who don’t look like George Clooney. It’s a powerful way to attract the opposite sex with women in particular saying they are attracted to men who can make them, or others laugh.
So how can you write a funny dating app bio if you’re not naturally funny?
The simple answer is don’t. If you cannot be naturally funny, you’re better off concentrating on what you can do. However, if you don’t want to ignore what is a seriously powerful way to attract the opposite sex, there are a few ways to use humor.
Why are we attracted to humor?
According to Psychology Today, we like funny people because they demonstrate advanced social skills and intelligence. Both things many of us find attractive in a mate. Self-deprecating humor is also a sign of lack of ego and self-confidence which are both also very attractive to many of us.
With all that aside, it is nice to spend time with someone who makes us laugh so we will often take this into account when reading dating app bios. Even if we are looking to hook up rather than a mate for life, humor is a powerful attractant for both sexes.
Examples of funny dating app bios
To get you started, here are a few funny dating app bios I particularly like. Rumor has it that some of these are fake, but they are funny so who cares?
- ‘Are you a delivery man? Cuz I believe you have a package for me.’
- ‘Let’s have a who’s better in bed contest. I’m hoping to be a sore loser!’
- ‘Carefully written, fact-checked essay in the streets. Unmoderated comment section in the sheets.’
- ‘Let’s be honest I’m on Tinder and my first picture is of me in a bikini, I’m not looking for a relationship or a friend.’
- ‘2.0 – Tinder Edition Updates – Minor Bug Fixes, Improved Selection Algorithm, New Pictures (Bikini pic added), Performance enhancements: summer tan, Multilingual support.’
- ‘I’ve learned that men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If I see you without an erection, I’ll make you a sandwich.’
- ‘One hell of a guy – New York Times, Outstanding gentleman – Washington Post, I wish I could be more like him – The most interesting man in the world, You would be crazy not to swipe right – Miss New York, He is my phone’s background – Mom, My Hero – Spider-Man.’
You get the idea. While some of these are overtly suggestive, not all of them are. How you approach your profile depends on what you’re looking to get out of your dating experience.
Writing your funny dating app bio
Not everyone is comfortable writing about themselves and certainly not trying to make themselves seem attractive on an app. Considering how important the bio is, that’s a stumbling block for a lot of people. Just spend half an hour on Tinder, Bumble or one of the others to see just how many people have trouble writing a good dating profile!
It is possible to write some good ones though as those examples above show. There is a lot of inspiration around too if you cannot come up with something original. Just make sure you tune it specifically to you.
Use the world around you for inspiration
For example, using the theater review method of the final example above is superb. It’s humorous, gets the point across and is guaranteed to get a laugh. Don’t copy it though, just use it for inspiration. Remember, most users will see hundreds or thousands of dating app bios in any given week so you have to be original.
Use famous quotes and make them fit you. Use marketing slogans, TV commercials and so on. As long as the person you’re trying to attract is likely to know what you’re on about, you should be fine.
Keep it short and sweet
Nobody is going to read a wall of text. We don’t online and we won’t in an app. Anything over three sentences long and ten words per sentence is enough. Anything more risks being ignored. Write something. Leave it overnight. Then remove half the words while retaining the meaning. Rinse and repeat until you’re happy and your bio is short and funny.
Short also means using short words. It may be tempting to show off with your lexicon of long words but remember that your potential match will be on their phone and will not get the full benefit. Use short, simple words that skim well and you’ll stand more chance of being read.
If all fails, use emoji
I may not particularly like them but emoji are a powerful form of expression. If you cannot think of anything funny to say, use emoji in a humorous way. Listing your five favorite activities in emoji form is a useful way to get a message across in a scannable way. Just how you make them funny is up to you. Irony may be best here!