Updating your information on Yelp is simple and it starts with claiming your business page! Once you’re logged in, all you have to do is click on ‘Business Information’ and voila!
Check out what to do once you get there:
When consumers are in need of a product or service, the only thing that’s stopping them from potentially choosing your business, beyond discovery, is accurate information. Are you open all night? Is your business cash only?
Is your phone number listed accurately? 93% of consumers say they are frustrated by incorrect business information online.*
Updating Your Business Information On Yelp
From the Yelp for Business Owners website (biz.yelp.com)
- Go to the Business Information section
- Click Add (or Edit if you have existing content here)
- Click Save Changes
From the Yelp for Business Owners app
- Click Biz Info in the bottom navigation bar.
- Tap either Specialties, History or Meet the Business Owner/Manager and enter the information
- Hit Save
Updating your phone number and address is probably on your ‘must-dos’ list. Let’s take a look at some of the different sections that will help set your business apart.
Business Information Sections You’ll Want To Update
When it comes to filling out your information on Yelp, the true importance is the chance to differentiate yourself from competitors. Businesses can take advantage of Yelp’s free tools to have a presence on Yelp and also bring their business’ personality and brand. The ability to customize can be used as a tool to sell a potential consumer on why they should do business with you. Check out the below sections to make sure you’ve flooded your page with information at every opportunity:
This section is where you can upload all of the basics about your business; business name, phone number, address, servicing area and website. Additionally, attributes that show on your Yelp business page can be voted on by the consumer. For example, if your business is good for kids, pricey, loud or general attire. However, concrete information like the currency you accept, whether you serve alcohol, if dogs are allowed, if you have Wi-FI or have gender neutral restrooms, can be updated in the business information section of your business account. Attributes are category dependent and differ by business. What’s a category? We’re glad you asked…
Categories listed on your Yelp page will help consumers understand exactly what you offer. All information should be listed right on your page rather than consumers having to leave your Yelp page to dig through your website. For example, is your cat cafe not only a coffee bar, but also an adoption center? Add the proper categories and let the crazy cat ladies of your area know!
Do you have a niche service or offering? No problem! You can fully outline all you do in Yelp’s ‘From the business’ section (we’ll get to that shortly). Check out Yelp’s full list of categories and pick the ones that make the most sense for you.
Your Service Area shows Yelp users that are searching for what you do, how far you’re willing to travel for a job. It’s great as a tool to connect with the right customers geographically and outlines how far you’re willing to travel for a job. Update your Service Area to let Yelp users know if you service their neighborhood.
Updating business hours is quick and painless! It’s important to let Yelp users know when your regular operating hours. If a consumer is searching using the ‘open now’ filter, and you don’t have hours listed, you won’t be shown!
Additionally, setting up special hours is easy and can save you time and energy later on. It provides the flexibility to state open, closed, temporarily closed, etc. Closed for some renovations? Mark your business as temporarily closed and let yelpers know the date you’re re-opening.
From the Business
Most businesses are birthed from a light bulb, “aha!” moment. Whatever lead to that idea and brings you a sense of passion day after day, shout it from the rooftop – or from your Business Information section! Within Yelp’s ‘From the business’ section you have multiple opportunities to tell your story:
- Specialties: The Specialties section is an area where you can list your specific services as well as highlight what makes you stand out. Is your plumbing business family owned and operated for over 30 years? That’s a big deal! Get your humble brag on! On the flip side, your business may be veteran owned and operated, a not for profit, or eco friendly. All of this information is worth sharing and when a consumer is contemplating choosing your business, it certainly can help build your case. Tell us every detail!
- History: The History section allows you to inform viewers about the background of your business. Yelp users want to know your story!
- Meet the Owner or Manager: This gives your Yelp listing that true local feel. Take the time to let people know who you are and more importantly – why you do it.
- Business Recommendations: This is a great tool where you are able to recommend other businesses as well as cross promote additional locations you may operate.