Do you lie in bed on a Sunday evening and plan your week ahead with the best of intentions? You tell yourself to go to the gym, drink more water, tick off your nagging to-do list and read before bed, but before you know it, you’ve failed on all accounts. Why? Because life is busy and full of distractions.
But it needn’t be so difficult to put your goals into action. According to Maria Hatzistefanis, the founder and CEO of Rodial Beauty and author of How to Make it Happen, the key to success is following several simple steps including waking up earlier, creating a decluttered workspace and not picking up your phone for social media breaks (the struggle is real).
Here, the kickass entrepreneur shares her 10 tips for a mega ‘make it happen’ day.
1. Tell your family/roommate/cat that you’ll take the day to complete your project and that you don’t want to be interrupted. Don’t be afraid to say no if anyone tries to interrupt and you can be honest to them about the reason.
2. Have your space decluttered the day before, have a candle ready and some fresh flowers. Create the most inviting, clean and luxurious space so you can enjoy your work.
3. Write your to-do list for the day and tick off as you complete the tasks. Keep beautiful pads and coloured pencils around and your mood board/research close at hand, ready to keep inspiring you.
4. Get rid of any distractions, put your phone on silent and don’t be tempted to get on it to check social media and new updates.
5. Decide how many hours you will be working on this project and stick to it.
6. Start your day a bit earlier than usual, so if you usually start work at 9am get it started at 7am. By 9am you’ll already feel you are ahead of the game.
7. Have your favourite drinks around you to keep hydrated and energised and stop regularly for meal breaks. You don’t want to be running on empty and deplete your energy.
8. Background music is always great, but I recommend starting in the quiet to get some progress and focus, then use music to lift you when you really need it.
9. Reward yourself when you finish your day with something that you like: have a long gossip/chat with a friend, take a long bubble bath or watch your favourite boxset. You need some passive entertainment to clear your mind.
10. You’ve had a Mega Make It Happen Day, well one! Plan your next one already and slot it in your diary.
Want more? Make sure you pick up How to Make it Happen by Maria Hatzistefanis.