Chinese Pepper Steak is a classic Chinese restaurant favorite made at home with less fat and all the delicious salty, peppery flavors in under 30 minutes.
This pepper steak is the classic restaurant version to the super popular Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken you all love on the blog.
Chinese Pepper Steak
Chinese Pepper Steak was never a recipe we wanted to order when we’d go out to eat, but after getting hooked on the Black Pepper Chicken from Panda, we were more open to experimenting.
Chinese Pepper Steak Stir-Fry:
Chinese Pepper Steak is a quick and easy beef stir-fry with vegetables made with a soy-sherry mixture flavored mostly with sesame oil and fresh ginger and garlic along with a punch of black pepper. While it may look like a complicated sauce, the hardest part is slicing the steak and vegetables before cooking.
As with any stir fry I suggest having everything prepared before you start heating up your skillet/wok as the cooking process goes quickly and to preserve the fresh and tender vegetables you can’t let them cook too long.
Can you meal prep this Pepper Steak Recipe?
You can certainly cook the meal ahead of time and re-heat throughout the week. I suggest cooking the beef one minute shy of the instructions so it can maintain some tenderness in reheating. To reheat use a microwave at half power for 1-2 minutes to prevent overcooking the steak.
Tools Used in the Making of this Chinese Pepper Steak:
Wok: Great for high heat, quick cooking. This wok is a great addition to your kitchen if you love cooking Chinese food or stir fries in general.
Large Frying Pan: I use this Cuisinart for most of my non cast iron cooking unless I am going with a stainless steel option, then I choose my All Clad.
Better Than Bouillon: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Sesame Oil: The flavor of sesame oil in this dish is unmistakeable and not really able to be substituted.
Yield: 4 servings
Chinese Pepper Steak
Total Time:30 minutes
Chinese Pepper Steak is a classic Chinese restaurant favorite made at home with a fraction of the fat and all the delicious salty, peppery and savory flavors in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 4 scallions, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- Add the soy sauce and sherry to a bowl with the beef and stir.
- Let marinate while cooking the recipe.
- Add the sesame and canola oils to a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, until wilted.
- Add in the bell peppers, green onions, garlic and ginger to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until just starting to wilt.
- While the vegetables are cooking mix the sauce ingredients together.
- Remove the vegetables and leave the remaining oil in the pan to cook the steak.
- Raise the heat to high and add the steak, cooking for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Add back in the vegetables and the sauce and let cook for just a minute for it to thicken.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 252 Calories