Don’t settle for plain avocado toast – top it with a zesty olive relish, tomatoes, and a drizzle of balsamic! This makes a filling and satisfying weekday breakfast.
This recipe is brought to you in partnership with The California Olive Committee.
An avocado smashed on top of toast with plenty of salt, pepper and lemon juice is a pleasant snack, but add a relish made with buttery California Ripe Olives spooned over top and you’ve got my attention.
Plus capers and tomatoes, oh my!
When shopping for your olives, look for California Green Ripe Olives. They have a buttery flavor and a meaty texture that we love in simple recipes like this.
Tame the sharpness of the onion by marinating it briefly in lemon and vinegar; you’ll still get plenty of onion flavor without the sting. Then stir in the tomatoes, chopped olives, and capers to complete the relish.
Load it on the toast, and add some crunch with toasted pine nuts. You will never tire of this avocado toast.
Avocado Toasts with Olive Relish, Tomatoes, and Balsamic Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced California Green Ripe Olives
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices hearty whole grain, artisan-style bread, or another bread of your choice
- 2 avocadoes, halved, pit removed, and sliced
- 4 lemon wedges
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts