Denim jackets are having a moment. So much more than a mere throw-over, they have resurfaced over the last couple of seasons to form an integral element of so many of our favourite street style, celebrity and runway looks.
But how to wear them?
It may seem an unusual question, but with so many different cuts, colours and styles to choose from right now, it can be difficult to know which to go for.
We picked out three of the best and styled them to suit three different women with three very different looks…
Look 1: Distressed dynamic
A classic take on the much-loved fabric, distressed denim will forever feel like a modern classic (even when it’s dubbed ‘vintage’). Venture into ultra-modern double-denim territory and pair it with some jeans. Just make sure they have a ripped hem for continuity…
– YOU PEOPLE Bad Ass Basquiat Detachable Denim Jacket, £400
– Set Idaho Jeans, £125
– ALEXACHUNG Boxy Tee Banana Print, £75
– Monki Priya Patent Boot, £45
– Gentle Monster Cobalt 02 (V) sunglasses, £195
– Ellery Earrings in Silver, £295
– The Pommier Rita Earrings, £58
Look 2: Fun feminine
For those of us that tend to steer clear of denim jackets because we prefer a longline duster coat, this Alexa Chung number just answered all our sartorial prayers. Who said denim jackets couldn’t be ultra feminine?
– ALEXACHUNG Long Denim Trench Coat, £625
– Stella McCartney Larissa Floral Allover Embroidery Silk Dress, £1545
– Manolo Blahnik Maysale Suede Heels, £545
– Mulberry Twist Pearl Earrings, £295
– Patcharavipa Hexagon Ring I 18k Siam Yellow Gold, £2,140
– Patcharavipa – Hexagon Ring II Yellow Gold 0.61ct Diamond, £1,300
Look 3: Cute cropped
On the other end of the spectrum, this one is for you sub-5″3′ ladies out there. Shorter gals who don’t fancy being swamped in the heavy fabric ought to opt for leg-lengthening cropped jackets in mixed materials à la this denim-tweed Chanel number. Pay day, and all that.
– Chanel Denim Cotton Tweed Jacket, £3395
– Rouje T-Shirt, £43
– Theory Demitria 2 Trousers, £290
– Eudon Choi x Décke Penzance Boots, £475
– Dinny Hall Silver Large Bamboo Hoops, £180
– Dinny Hall Signet Pinky Cushion Ring, £100
– Patcharavipa Round Ring II Black Gold, £1700
– Patcharavipa Round Ring III Black Gold, £1770
– (All other jewellery models own)
Nejilka (Look 1)
Carla Trujillo (Look 2)
Prim Patnasiri (Look 3)