Chances are a night of particularly deep sleep has wreaked havoc on your hair or skin at some point — but the best silk pillowcases are here to help you avoid that outcome ever again.
Through less friction, silk’s texture prevents hair breakage and static, and it can also help prevent wrinkles and breakouts.
Throw in an electric diffuser, a weighted blanket, and some luxurious bed sheets, and you’re in for the best beauty sleep of your life.
The best silk pillowcases at a glance – our top picks:
Pillowcase — Gold — Queen
Silk Hair & Skin Beauty Pillowcase
LILYSILK 100% Pure Mulberry Silk Pillowcase
SLIP Queen silk pillowcase 51cm x 76cm
Is it worth buying a silk pillowcase?
Silk, derived from domesticated silkworms, is widely agreed to be less likely to contribute to fine lines than your cotton pillowcase, which doesn’t have such a smooth surface. Plus, silk pillowcases might even make your beauty routine more effective – they won’t pull the hydration out of your skincare products overnight, meaning your creams and serums will actually have a chance to penetrate the skin’s barrier and do their job. “They keep your products from escaping from your skin, so you can really ensure they are penetrating,” says celebrity facialist and La Mer global skin care adviser Georgia Louise.
Perhaps most importantly? Just like your silk scrunchie, silk pillowcases lessen the chances of breakage, frizz and split ends caused by moving around in your sleep, making for smoother, healthier hair.
Elsewhere, the material is naturally hypoallergenic and prevents the buildup of dust mites, fungus, mould, and other allergens. Silk pillowcases also tend to be great at temperature regulating, which means less flipping your pillow to the cool side.
While the effects of silk pillowcases on skin and hair are still under-researched, a few studies (like a 2019 article) have found promising results. Empirically, though, the material’s benefits are easy to see — just read the reviews for any silk pillowcase. Ready to switch to a truly luxe silk pillow cover? Thought so.
Pink Mulberry Silk Pillowcase — Standard Queen
Audley Pure Silk Oxford Pillowcase – Single
What to look for in a silk pillowcase:
- Momme: Momme count refers to the density of silk and indicates the quality of the material. Think of it like thread count — more threads mean extra durability. Most luxury silk pillowcases run from 19 momme (soft, relatively affordable) to 25 momme (top-of-the-line, more expensive). For the highest-quality textiles, look for mulberry silk; the fibres are longer and more uniform, making the fabric smoother and longer-lasting.
- Colour: These days you can find a silk pillowcase in almost any shade. Classics (like white, beige, and black) and jewel tones (like royal blue and orange) are the most common options. Silk is highly susceptible to washing machine-resistant stains, so pick a dark colour or a busy print if the marks will bother you.
- Closure: Zipper closures keep the material tight over your pillow, making silk’s natural wrinkles less prevalent. Envelope closures, on the other hand, have more give. Fidgety sleepers might find they slip off during the night.
- Care: Make sure to read the care instructions before throwing your pillowcase set in the laundry with your bed sheets and duvet cover. Not all pillowcases can be machine-washed on a delicate cycle; some types of silk require hand washing in cold water. Line-drying is best, as dryers can cause damage to the material; you can steam your pillowcase to remove any wrinkles.
- Price: Are expensive silk pillowcases better than the budget-friendly ones? In short, not necessarily; they often use high-quality materials and finishing so they’ll last longer, but our testers loved plenty of under-£50 price point options that stood the test of time just as much as Blissy and other high-end competitors.
How we tested the best silk pillowcases:
Our editors have slept on tonnes of silk pillowcases to evaluate differences in their design and materials, and these are the ones we (and countless reviewers) swear by. All of these picks are at least 19 momme and scored top marks in comfort, durability, and reducing hair flyaways as well as skin creases. You’re welcome.