When it comes to methods for clearing up our facial acne, we’re spoilt for choice.
From one blogger’s 7-step skin clearing routine, to another’s accutane cure, we’re spoilt for choice when it comes to acne treatments; we even know what to do if your acne is hormonal and how to treat acne on different parts of your body.
But as for our backs, it’s not something we usually think about until summer comes around and we start reaching for those off-the-shoulder tops.
So if you’re looking to slip into something a little backless, here’s what you need to know to get rid of your bacne once and for all.
What causes bacne?
To prevent bacne from occurring or returning, it’s important to know what causes it in the first place.
“Similar to the causes of spots everywhere, bacne is namely caused by excess sebum production, the build-up of dead skin cells, and bacteria”, says dermatologist, Dr Justine Kluk.
“For those who are prone to spots, the accumulation of oil and dead skin cells in our pores creates an ideal environment for a particular bacterium called ‘Propionibacterium’ acne to thrive. This triggers inflammation in the skin leading to angry red bumps and pus-filled spots.”
In addition to this, there are lifestyle factors that can contribute to outbreaks, such as hormones and excessive sweating.
“Body acne is more probable during the summer, if you work out regularly and if your skin is already acne-prone”, says Julie Morris, Aesthetic Nurse, Effortless Skin.
Top 8 tips to clear up your bacne
1. Cleanse your skin thoroughly in the shower every day.
2. Look for a shower gel or body wash containing the ingredients salicylic acid, glycolic acid or lactic acid and use an exfoliating scrub in the shower two or three days a week to prevent dead skin cells from building up and blocking your pores.
3. Apply a moisturiser to soothe and repair your skin barrier, but make sure that any products you leave on your skin are labelled ‘non-comedogenic’, meaning they won’t clog your pores.
4. Shower as soon as possible after exercise. Bacteria loves sweaty skin so it is important to remove your gym clothes as soon as possible, especially bra tops.
5. Wash bras after every wear.
6. Carry a spare T-shirt with you if you tend to sweat more in warmer weather.
7. Whatever you do, don’t pick, squeeze or scratch your spots. This increases inflammation and can lead to scarring.
Products for treating bacne
“You can also use targeted treatments that work to clear up and prevent breakouts”, she says.
She recommends spraying them onto clean skin every morning and evening to treat back blemishes.