This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken made in the slow cooker with salsa verde, jalapeno, cumin and lime is an easy main course, taco filling or start to a soup with just 7 ingredients.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
We love Mexican food, though with the lack of it on the site you wouldn’t guess it! Oops. But being from Southern California means we’ve grown up eating some pretty amazing food. Now in a rush I’ve been leaning heavily on my Best Homemade & QUICK Enchilada Sauce (Top 10 Ways to Use It!) to add to all the things we eat.
This is a different ballgame, we’re doing salsa verde. The milder, tangier salsa and we’re mellowing it out in the slow cooker. What you get is a super easy, delicious chicken you can serve with rice (like below) or meat for shredding and adding to your favorite meals.
Our secret favorite way to use this recipe? Cooking exactly as below (but with skinless thighs) and then adding in 6 cups of chicken broth, corn, chilis, black beans, sour cream and bell peppers (along with more cumin, salt, pepper, oregano and a bit of cayenne) to make a delicious soup you literally will be fighting over.
It all started with using the leftovers to make the soup, but now we sometimes make this recipe JUST to turn it into a soup (recipe coming later), it tastes almost like this Creamy Chicken Poblano Pepper Soup but with a little Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili flavor mixed in.
What do you serve with Salsa Verde Chicken?
This Salsa Verde Chicken is great served over rice or roasted corn, shredded into tacos, burritos, tamales, quesadillas and more. You can also add fajita vegetables to the side as a healthy side dish.
Ways to use Salsa Verde Chicken:
- Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole: Add a box of seasoned cornmeal mix to a pan and bake, then top with this shredded chicken as written here.
- Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice: Instead of adding the ingredients into a slow cooker add them exactly the same way to a baking dish. Add in rice and broth as written here.
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas: Add to tortillas with cheese and sour cream, roll into cigar shape then top with the cooking liquid and more jack cheese. Bake at 375 degrees until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos: To use in tacos you can shred as is, or you can swap for thin chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 hours before removing and cutting into cubes.
- Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta: Make a butter/flour mixture in your pan (4 tbs of each) and whisk until the flour is cooked, then add in cream, jack cheese and 2 cups of the cooking liquid. Allow to thicken, stir in pasta and top with chicken (this is to DIE FOR).
How to make Salsa Verde Chicken in the oven:
Add the ingredients as directed and brown the chicken well on both sides in a Cast Iron Skillet. Add the peppers and salsa on top and bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through. Top with additional salsa before serving if desired.
Homemade Salsa Verde Recipe:
- 1 pound tomatillos, husk and core removed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chile pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 3 cups water
Add the ingredients to a large dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatillos are soft and breaking down. Puree with immersion blender off the heat carefully to avoid splatter.
Tools used in the making of this Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Recipe:
Salsa Verde: Delicious, authentic and it makes the recipe a breeze to make!
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me.
Chicken Base: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Yield: 5 servings
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken made in the slow cooker with salsa verde, jalapeños, cumin and lime is an easy main course, taco filling or start to a soup with just 7 ingredients.
- 5 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon chicken base (optional but highly recommended)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thinly
- 14 ounces salsa verde
- 1 lime, juiced
- Rub the chicken base, salt, pepper and cumin over the chicken thighs and add them to the slow cooker.
- Divide 1 cup of salsa verde and the jalapeno slices over the pieces of chicken and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add in the remaining salsa and lime juice and cook for 1 last hour before serving.
All images and text ©
Made this recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me at @DinnerthenDessert or hashtag it at #dinnerthendessert.
Dinner, then Dessert, Inc. owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this site unless authorization is given. If you enjoyed the recipe and would like to publish it on your own site, please re-write it in your own words, and link back to my site and recipe page. Read my disclosure and copyright policy. This post may contain affiliate links.