This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Slow Cooker Bacon Chicken Chowder cooks low and slow all day long for a hearty, easy rich chowder with lots of bacon.
Slow Cooker Bacon Chicken Chowder
Slow Cooker Bacon Chicken Chowder is a dish that is deceptively easy and rich. Aside from crumbled bacon theres no precooking involved either!
We’re a huge fan of soups during the cold wintery months (ok ok, it isn’t that cold in California but I reserve the right to feel like this kid from the Campbell’s Soup snowman ad).
One of my favorite things about soups is cooking them low and slow. I think we’re so used to fast meals done in 30 minutes sometimes you forget the great flavors that come from simmering something on the stove. Except no one has time for that! Especially not during the holidays.
So Slow Cooker Soups are HUGE for us. The most popular one on the site by far is the Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup and this one is a similar style, full of thick, rich, creamy flavors!
Tips for making the perfect Chicken Chowder:
- Especially in a slow cooker the most important thing is bold flavors. I love bacon, extra chicken base, cream cheese, heavy cream and garlic in this dish together.
- Pump up the flavor even more, cook the onions in the bacon fat before adding them to the slow cooker.
- I used chicken breast here because more of my clients liked white meat, but chicken thighs are an obvious swap here too.
- Turkey meat is a great swap as is shrimp. If making a shrimp and bacon chowder, add in the shrimp in the last 20 minutes and use a seafood base instead of chicken (Like fish, clam or lobster – I use lobster and it is AMAZING).
- Yukon potatoes are rich and buttery and hold up well in the slow cooker.
Looking for more Slow Cooker Soups?
Tools Used in making this Slow Cooker Bacon Chicken Chowder:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me.
Pig Tail Flipper: I use this to flip bacon easily. I use this tool EVERY time I cook something that requires flipping, it is amazing.
Chicken Base: I almost never buy boxes of broth because I keep the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon.
Yield: 12 servings
Slow Cooker Bacon Chicken Chowder
Slow Cooker Bacon Chicken Chowder cooks low and slow all day long for a hearty, easy rich chowder with buttery potatoes and lots of bacon.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 yukon potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch cubes
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth*
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pound thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add the chicken, onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, broth, thyme, oregano and half the bacon to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add the cream cheese to the slow cooker.
- Mix the cornstarch with the heavy cream and add it to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for an hour.
- Mix in the remaining bacon and serve.
*Instead of broth I use Better than Bouillon. So I’d add double the strength it calls for to get an even more rich flavor.
Yield: 12 servings, Serving Size: 1/12th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 285 Calories
All images and text ©
Made this recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me at @DinnerthenDessert or hashtag it at #dinnerthendessert.
Dinner, then Dessert, Inc. owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this site unless authorization is given. If you enjoyed the recipe and would like to publish it on your own site, please re-write it in your own words, and link back to my site and recipe page. Read my disclosure and copyright policy. This post may contain affiliate links.